Part I: "Non-invasive ventilation in chronic stable COPD", presented by Aleksandr Kalininskiy, MD. Part II: "Non-invasive ventilation for acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease", presented by Michelle Winchell, DO. Both: Pulmonary and Critical Care Fellows, Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care, University of Rochester Medical Center.
At the conclusion of this presentation participants should be able to:
1. Define chronic respiratory failure.
2. Know the indications for use of home non-invasive ventilation in COPD.
3. Know the general process of qualifying patients for non-invasive ventilation in COPD.
1. Discuss literature supporting the use of NIV and its application in COPD exacerbations.
2. Understand current inpatient utilization practices.
3. Choose the right patients to initiate NIV and how to titrate settings.
The University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry designates this live educational activity for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Tuesday, January 14 at 12:00pm to 1:00pm
Class of '62 Auditorium
601 Elmwood Avenue, Rochester, NY 14642